Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cheddar Scallion Biscuits with Garlic Butter

I came upon a large bunch of red scallions at the farmer's market last week for cheap and am desperately trying to use all of them up--there were at least 20 in the whole bunch, and some of them were pretty huge. Here's one of my projects. Look for more later tonight, if the experiment is a success.

My basic biscuit recipe (or, I should say, my family's basic biscuit recipe) is quick simple: 2 cups flour, 4 tsp. baking powder, pinch salt, 1/4 cup Crisco, 3/4 cup milk. You can add lots of fun things to that, like cheese and, of course, scallions.

Chop your scallions. I used the two largest scallions in the bunch, which turned out about 1/4 cup of the red ("white") parts, chopped fine, and 1/2 cup of the green parts, sliced thinly. The consensus of the taste testers (read: me and my brother) was that I could have used more onion. Maybe half again that much.

UPDATE: I made them again and used somewhere between 3/4 and 1 cup of scallion, which worked beautifully.

Grate 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese (1 cup grated).

Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.

Work in the Crisco with a fork until it's nice and crumbly. This will make your biscuits flaky and delicious.

Add the scallions, cheese, and milk and mix it all together. You'll probably need your hands for this, but don't work the dough too much, or your biscuits will get tough.

Drop the biscuits onto a lightly greased cookie sheet in 10 roughly-shaped balls.

I love the red color; it just adds some more character.

Bake for 12 minutes at 425 degrees.

In the meantime, melt 2 tbsp. butter with 1/2 tsp. garlic powder. (I used margarine because we were, sadly, out of butter.)

Brush the tops of the biscuits with the garlic butter, then bake for 3 more minutes until nice and brown on top.

(Originally posted to Cheap Cooking on August 1, 2008.)


No comments:

Post a Comment