Sunday, January 4, 2009

Spicy Sausage and Kale Soup

I got this recipe from Food Wishes (and slightly modified it, of course, because I am incapable of following a recipe to the letter). I needed something to do with manager's special ($1.99/lb) hot Italian sausage patties, and this seemed good.

I think it's odd that there's a picture of a sausage patty on a bun, like a hamburger. Do people actually eat sausage patties like this? I kind of want to try it now.

Okay, your ingredients--kale, potatoes, onion, sausage, and Knorr vegetable bouillon.

I love this stuff. Lots of flavor and not overly salty, at least to my taste. One $1.49 package makes 3 quarts of vegetable broth, which is a lot of delicious soup.

Chop your onion. Instead of half a big one, I used a small one.

Do I really have to include a photo of chopped onion on every single post? I think you should know by now what a chopped onion looks like.

Toss the onion and 1/2 pound of the sausage into a pot. Put the rest of the sausage away to do something interesting with later.

Cook the sausage most of the way through, then add 2 quarts of water, 2 bouillon cubes, and the peeled and cut potatoes.

I figured you all knew what peeled potatoes looked like, too.

Simmer until you can smash the potato chunks against the side of the pot. This'll take about 20 minutes. Then smash them. Obviously. (Yay action shots!)

Yummy kale! I only needed 12 oz. and the bunch was a pound, so I'll have to figure out something to do with the rest of it.

Chop it up and rinse it.

Then add it to the pot. That'll need to simmer for another 20 minutes, until it looks like this:

Serve with spicy apricot chicken wings, if you, like me, like to serve meals in which none of the foods actually go together.

So check out the video at Food Wishes to see what this soup is actually supposed to be like. But who cares what it's really supposed to be like; just buy whatever's on manager's special.

(Originally posted to Cheap Cooking on July 9, 2008.)

No comments:

Post a Comment