Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tuna Fritters

I'm still working on the huge bunch of scallions from the last post; even after this dish I've still got a good dozen. But these were so good that I might even make them again.

Ingredients:

  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/3 c. chopped scallion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 2 c. frozen corn
  • 2 cans tuna, drained
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp. oil
  • 1/3 c. milk

Rinse the corn under hot water until it thaws. Drain well.

Mix all ingredients together. (With a spoon, not a whisk. I don't know what I was thinking in this picture.)

It should have the consistency of a wet tuna salad. I was envisioning something more like a pancake batter with chunks in it, but this worked way better.

Drop spoonfuls into hot oil. This works better if your stove doesn't lean to one side so all the oil pools in one little spot in the pan.

Fry about 3 minutes per side, until nice and golden brown. Drain on paper towels, or just don't use as much oil as I did in the first place.

Yummy with some baked beans. The garlic and spiciness and the texture of the corn overpower the taste and texture of the tuna, so if you're not a big fan of canned tuna but find you've stocked up because it's $1 a can, this is a good dish for you.

Note: one clove of garlic ended up being a lot, so cut down or just use a little garlic powder if you prefer; but don't cut down on the green onions. I know it seems like a lot but they really make the dish, in flavor and in color.

(Originally posted to Cheap Cooking on August 1, 2008.)


1 comment:

  1. those fritters look really good! how big are the cans of tuna? I have 7 oz cans in my pantry.

    ReplyDelete