Sunday, January 4, 2009

Vegan Bratwurst

I love seitan. It's amazing how versatile it is, and it's amazing that, given how much I love it, I've never attempted to make seitan sausages before.

It's also amazing how easy and delicious these are.

I adapted these from a recipe over at Vegan Dad, changing the seasonings for bratwurst rather than Italian sausage, and substituting tofu for pinto beans (because that's what I had on hand).

Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 1/4 c. vital wheat gluten
  • 1/4 c. nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 tsp. each Old Bay seasoning, ground sage, and dried marjoram
  • 1 c. cold vegetable broth (yes, I used Knorr bouillon, and yes, I think Knorr should pay me for the advertising)
  • 1/2 c. silken tofu
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil (I think I will try leaving this out next time)
  • 1 tbsp. soy sauce

Vital Wheat Gluten costs about $4.50/lb if you buy it in the store, but you can get it for $3-4/lb. if you buy in bulk from Amazon. This recipe takes something around 6 oz., I think, though I haven't measured exactly.

Nutritional yeast is about $10/lb. Buying in bulk is probably a good deal if you cook vegan or vegetarian a lot; otherwise, I've used parmesan cheese as a nutritional yeast substitute before, although I'm not sure how it would work out in this particular recipe.

I used Old Bay because it includes most of the spices from this bratwurst recipe I found, but you can substitute a combination of whatever of those spices you have around.

This is one of those recipes that's not so much "cheap" as "cheaper than the alternative." I don't know if this works out to be cheaper than actual bratwurst, as I never buy it unless it's on sale, but it's definitely cheaper (and better tasting!) than any packaged vegetarian sausages I've had.

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Mash up the tofu with the soy sauce and oil, then add the vegetable broth.

Combine the wet and dry ingredients.

Mix it all together. The dough will be fairly wet and easy to work with.

Divide the dough into five equal pieces and place each on a large piece of aluminum foil.

Shape the dough into something vaguely sausage-like (don't worry if it isn't perfect or doesn't stick together--it will come together when it cooks) and wrap the foil tightly around it.

Steam the sausages for 40 minutes.

They'll firm up overnight in the refrigerator, but you probably can't resist trying a piece now.

Coming soon (I hope!): a vegetarian version of my Favorite Soup Ever.

(Originally posted to Cheap Cooking on July 22, 2008.)


2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. Thank you! I will be bringing these in for the office cook-out. Hopefully some of my coworkers will be brave enough to sample them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are cheaper than the local alternative for us, Tofurkey brats are 4 brats in a package for $5 to feed our family of 5 we need at least two packages. We really love these too.

    ReplyDelete